Family Photo

Family Photo

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is It Really That Bad to Quit on the Third Day?

I am starting to question my goal of running a triathlon. Did I mention that I made it a goal for Ricky as well? Yup, I am very good at making goals for other people. If you ever need a goal maker, I am your woman! Anyways, yesterday we started our training. We hooked the kids' trailer up to the bike and went for a bike ride in the freezing cold weather. Our hands and faces were frozen by the time we were done with our ride, but I was so proud of us for getting up and starting our training. This morning, I got everyone up and fed and dressed and announced that we'd be going for a run. I wanted to start off small so we'd only be running for a mile and a half and then walking for a mile and a half. Ricky was not thrilled but I served as a great and somewhat annoying motivator! I threw on my tennis shoes and packed the kids in the trailer/ jogging stroller and off we went. 
 I knew I was in trouble as soon as we started. I realized that the last time I had worked out was over two years ago and I am not as young as I used to be. The first sign of my not-so-youngness was feeling the jiggle in my rear end with every stride. I have never experienced this before and it was real uncomfortable and extremely motivating for the first block or so. After, the first block, the jiggling behind me was outdone by the burning sensation in my chest and the lack of oxygen in my lungs. All I wanted to do was collapse on the street and call 911. My husband who was a few yards ahead of me kept shouting words of encouragement to me while I gasped for air and grabbed my side to try to ease the cramp that had taken hold of my insides. I pushed myself all the way to the mile and half mark as Noah screamed "There's Mama!" (He couldn't see me the entire time because I was so far behind him!) I think I might have scared him with my gagging and gasping. Then, Ricky, the one who I had to push out the door to do this run, thought it would be fun to push ourselves to run another quarter mile. I said "NO!" He said, "How are we supposed to run a triathlon in a few months if we can't even push ourselves for another half mile now?" Sometimes, I wonder why I even make goals for people. They get all motivated and then it backfires on me. Well, he convinced me and I ran for another quarter of a mile gagged some more, saw stars, nearly passed out, and nearly killed my husband...let's just say it was a good thing my children were present or it might have gotten ugly. 
  After all that I am alive and well and feel like I could just sleep all day. I really hope that I can continue with this training and that my the jiggling, burning, cramping, and gagging all come to an end as I get in shape!  

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Ok, first of all I have to pick myself up off the floor from laughing hysterically at your "jiggly buttocks"...girlfriend, you and I need to talk! Until yours is 1/2 the size of mine, you are not qualified to discuss this! :)
thanks for the giggle!
I am very proud of you!