Family Photo

Family Photo

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An Award Please?

I feel like I deserve an award for keeping my children alive and staying sane after my day yesterday. You all may be shocked at how easy I have it and think that I am really not deserving of anything but a poopy diaper but I am very proud of myself nonetheless...
Yesterday, I picked up my babies after work and headed home like I always do. Normally my husband is home waiting to help me get my 5 bags and two babies out of the car and up the stairs into the house, but yesterday he was working late and so I had to figure out how to get my luggage plus my two babies out of the car and up the stairs all by myself. Then, I had to figure out how I was going to cook dinner, keep the babies entertained, feed dinner, give baths, read all 100 of Noah's books to him, keep my sanity, and not bite my husband's head off as soon as he walked in the door after the kids were sound asleep...
First things first, getting out of the car and up the stairs was quite a task because the neighbor kid was outside riding his bike and as soon as I took Noah out of his car seat, he ran out of the garage yelling the little boy's name and chasing him down the street. I ran after him in my uncomfortable heels with 5 bags on my shoulder and Maia in her car seat on the other arm being brain damaged from the jolts she was receiving from being bumped against my leg. I didn't have any free hands with which to grab Noah so I had to bribe him back to the house with my phone. Once we got up the stairs, I was a sweaty mess. I started the rice for dinner, changed my shoes, took Maia out of her car seat, and headed outside with Noah so he could release some energy. This was the most peaceful part of my afternoon. Watching Noah go up and down the slide 20 times. When I knew that I had to get back to my rice, I told Noah that we had to go and he threw a fit. I dragged him back to the house by his arm muttering not so nice things under my breath as he cried and Maia slid down my hip on the other side . Once inside, Maia went in her swing and I handed Noah a towel and told him to help me kill the flies that were buzzing all around my kitchen. While I was cooking dinner, Maia started crying and I once again put Noah to work telling him to go give Maia a kiss. This worked for a few minutes but then I must have sent him over to her one too many times because the last time he head-butted her and grabbed her toy from her hand after kissing her which made her cry even more. I scrambled to finish dinner, only burning myself once amidst the chaos of a 1 crying baby and 1 whining baby. Then I placed them in their high chairs and attempted to feed Maia her rice cereal and Noah his dinner at the same time. Bad idea. Maia was upset that she had to take turns and Noah was annoyed with Maia's crying. While she cried, he yelled, "Maia's ky-ing" and refused to eat. I finished feeding her, took her out of her chair, swaddled her and put her down in her crib. She continued to scream. I proceeded to feed Noah despite the loud crying coming from the babies' room. Once he was done, I got Maia and nursed her while reading Noah 3 different books. After feeding her, I gave them each a bath one at a time, read 2 more books, brushed Noah's teeth, got them ready for bed, prayed with them, and put them down. All I wanted to do at that point was drink a glass of wine and pass out on the couch, but my kitchen was a mess, my bathroom looked like a tidal wave hit it, my living room had toys and books scattered everywhere, and my stomach was begging me to feed it. I have a whole new respect for single moms. I don't think I could do that more than once a year! But, the fact that I got through that afternoon with two babies alive and fed, my house not burned down, and my sanity intact makes me feel like I deserve a trophy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You totally deserve a trophy! Good Job! Your evening events are the story of my life as well. I hope you have an easier night tonight! Good Luck!

Sarah N. said...

WOW!!! I agree... single moms rock.. I could never do it. Evenings are the worst! Great job!