Family Photo

Family Photo

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thomas is Taking Over Our Lives

Every night when I put the kids to bed they ask for me to sing a song. I think they do this to postpone bed time as long as possible by keeping me in the room, but I use this opportunity to sing to them worship songs that we sing in church . I really want my kids to love the Lord and understand what it means to sing praises to Him. They are now familiar with a few worship songs and I love asking them what they want me to sing at night. The usual answer is "Hosanna" by Hillsongs United. So, last night when Maia asked for a, "song?" I asked which one, fully expecting my spiritually mature child to reply, "Hosanna." Instead the answer was, "Thomas." Huh? There are no worship songs entitled "Thomas." What is she talking about? Noah chimes in, "Yeah, Thomas the Train song mommy!" The chant from both cribs rose up, "Tho-mas, Tho-mas, Tho-mas." No amount of persuading could have changed their minds to pick a worship song. I breathed a quick apology to God for my heathen children and sang,

"They're 2, they're 4, they're 6, they're 8.
Shunting trucks and hauling freights.
Red and green and brown and blue,
They're the really useful crew.
All with different roles to play
Round Tidmouth sheds and far away.
Down the hills and round the bend.
Thomas and his friends."

Then I sang it again, and again, and again. Apparently that song never gets old to my one and two year old.

No comments: