Family Photo

Family Photo

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Noah's First Day of School


So, I was a bit of a wreck the morning of Noah's first day of school. He was really excited until we actually walked up to the school. Then, he began to have second thoughts, "Mommy, I don't wanna go to school. I wanna stay with you." It was a good thing my friend, Debbie came with me for moral support or I just might have made a run for it, taken him home, and played hooky from work. I assured him he'd love it and continued the walk to school. As we were making our way to the classroom, I saw all the other parents there with their big ol' professional cameras taking pictures of this milestone in their child's life. SHOOT! Again, I get the World's Worst Mommy Award. How did I not even think to bring a camera?! Then, I remembered that I had my iPhone in my purse. It would have to do. I took a picture, took a deep breath, and left my Noah with the teacher at the playground who invited him to draw on the floor with chalk. I did not even get to kiss him goodbye. I did not want to make a scene. Debbie, rubbed my back and told me it would be okay. I felt my eyes get hot, but I willed myself not to cry. I was successful.
Throughout the day, I had three different people give me updates on Noah. He was doing great, not crying at all, and participating in all the activities. I could not wait to hear all about it from him. When 2:30 rolled around, Ricky came to pick him up. Ricky, Maia, and I all walked over to the school together to pick up our big boy. When I walked into the classroom, he was eating his snack with all the other kids. I noticed his crooked shorts and half tucked in t-shirt when he stood up. He got a huge smile on his face when he saw us and came bouncing over. Before Ricky or I could get to him, Maia embraced him in a huge hug as if she was seeing him for the first time in months! He hugged her back and did not get annoyed when she would not let go. She missed him so much! Again, I felt my eyes get hot, but I refused to let the tears fall!
The teacher told us how well he did and on our walk to the car, he told me how he listened to a froggy story, painted with green paint, climbed up the blue red and yellow letters, danced with sticks to a funny bear song, ate graham crackers, played with Larry Boy, was the "light helper," prayed, and went potty all by himself.

My heart was full!

1 comment:

Nana said...

I had tears reading this and pictured every moment you described. His little twisted shorts put me over the edge. So precious. These memories will stick with you for years. Enjoy the blessings of these little milestones.

Love Nana