Family Photo

Family Photo

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dinner for Foodies

It's been awhile and I am a bit upset at myself because this is a sort of journal for me and now I am going to have 2 weeks of my life missing from it and there has been lots to write about!

About 6 weeks ago my good friend said that she had asked a particular couple to her house for dinner and that she was really nervous about it for 2 reasons: 1) the people that were coming over are Foodies. When my friend and her husband went over that couple's house for dinner, they were served a 3 course gourmet perfectly balanced meal, which my friend described as "the best meal of her life." 2) my friend does not cook. Her solution to this problem was to invite me over to join them all for dinner...and to be the one to cook! Thus began my six weeks of anxiety.

She first suggested that I cook my chilequila casserole to which I responded, "That is a "mom dish!" You can't cook a "mom casserole" for someone who served you tomato bisque with a "swirly" on top!" And so for the next few weeks I wracked my brain and lost sleep over what I would make that evening. I knew that it didn't really matter what I cooked, because this couple really wouldn't care, they were just coming over for the fellowship. But, the competitive spirit within me wanted to rank up there with the tomato bisque with a swirly!
After a million trips to 5 different grocery stores, I finally decided to make a cheese fondue appetizer, a maple Dijon pork a la Rachael Ray, and s'mores chocolate fondue dessert. When I arrived at the friend's house on the day of the dinner, she was in the middle of trying to clean her house with her two sick deliriously tired toddlers running around trying to keep themselves busy. She apologized for her appearance and the price tag that hung off of the shirt she had just thrown on. She looked like my brain felt, in disarray. We both laughed and got to work. You would have thought we were having celebrities over for dinner the way we were acting!

Anyways, the night turned out wonderfully. My hubby who I have mentioned before is the World's Most Amazing Husband, made sure to be my calming agent by doing whatever it is I needed and ended up cooking the main course after my test run didn't turn out so good! (oh and he did the entire dessert himself too, come to think of it, I didn't do much cooking that night at all, I was too busy talking!) The food was delicious and the conversation even better.

All of the stress and sleepless nights of the previous weeks turned out to be for naught. I shared with the couple of my intimidation and we laughed about it and I thought to myself, why do I stress out so much over things that I know will turn out fine?



No comments: