Family Photo

Family Photo

Monday, December 6, 2010

Channeling My Inner Michelle Duggar

I have a confession to make: I have been a terrible mom this past week, losing my temper, yelling a lot, and running out of patience very quickly. I keep getting so frustrated that my kids are not responding to me, that they whine for everything, and that we have a daily overdose of tantrums in my household. I feel like I am at my wits end everyday. What am I doing wrong?!
Well, right when I was thinking that there was no way I could add another child to this horrendous situation, a friend of mine reminded me of the ultimate super mom: Michelle Duggar. Now, I know that many people may have a much different opinion of this woman than I do, but I seem to think that this woman is amazing! She's got 19 (or 20 I lost count) kids and she is always so cool, calm, and collected. Even when disciplining her kids, her voice remains sweet as can be and HER KIDS RESPOND TO HER! I am baffled and inspired by this woman. So, I decided that from now on, when things get dicey around the Murray household with misbehaving children, I will try my best to channel my inner Michelle Duggar. That sweet, cool, calm, collected demeanor has got to be in me somewhere...right?
Today, I tried it out and it totally worked! We were in the car and Maia decided that she was going to throw the tantrum of all tantrums. I am talking about the kind where you have to stop and question whether your child may be possessed. She was so angry at me for not giving into her demands that she wrote all over her hand with a pen, then threw her water cup, then she proceeded to take off her socks and shoes and throw them, and then took her arms out of her car seat straps and began to writhe around trying to make an escape all the while screaming at the top of her lungs (I told you it was bad)! Now, normally, I would be yelling and threatening spankings and letting her get me all riled up. Instead, I tried my new tactic, What would Michelle Duggar do in this situation? I remained calm and took a deep breath and ignored her until I could get my thoughts together. Then, I politely but firmly let her know that I would not be giving into her demands and that if she continued her behavior, when we arrived at our destination, I would have to give her a spanking. To my utter surprise, the girl, put her arms back through her car seat straps and stopped writhing. She did continue to cry for a little while, but she was not out of control and neither was I and by the time we reached our destination, I did not feel like I wanted to just leave her there and run away!
I have a whole new outlook now. Michelle Duggar definitely knows what she is doing and from now on, whenever my kids decide to be devilish, I am going to ask myself, what would Michelle Duggar do?! I am confident that this will help me get through this phase of excessive toddler tantrums and whining without going insane...at least for now!

3 comments:

Emily June said...

I love Michelle Duggar too! I remember one episode where she was discipling one of the younger boys and she shared a great tip. "I don't threaten them or discipline them out of anger, but instead I give them an opportunity to stop the bad behavior and to practice good character." She rocks!

Michelle Bradley said...

We should make "wwmd" bracelets jk :) I watch that show and think the same thing. How are her kids SO behaved and what am I doing wrong? Pretty much everyday I think I am not doing such a great job at this whole mom thing. Landen whines 24/7 I lose my patience all the time. He probably listens about 10 percent of the time. You are SO not alone. When I pray for patience for myself with my kids I will say a prayer for you too :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I am a new mom, who most of the time feels like I have no idea what I am doing. 19 Kids and Counting is one of my favorite shows and I always try to channel my inner Michelle Duggar during my bumbling parent moments.