Family Photo

Family Photo

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Ultrasound

We went in for our 20 week ultrasound yesterday and I so wish I would have had a video camera in the room to capture Maia's reaction. I had prepped them for what was going to happen and had given them the speech, "God decides whether it's a boy or girl and we will be happy either way." Noah had grasped this concept well. That morning he told Maia, "I hope it's a girl for you Maia." So sweet, because I know that he really wanted a boy but he was willing to sacrifice to make his sister happy.
After all the measurements had been done, the tech invited Ricky and the kids into the room. They were a little nervous walking into the dark room and seeing mommy lying down in a hospital gown. They stared at the screen wide-eyed, trying to make sense of the black and white blob on the monitor. The tech explained what they were looking at and Noah asked, "Is it a boy or a girl?" The tech said, "Well...you see that there? It looks like you will have a little brother." Noah's face lit up. He jumped up, clapped his hands, and let out a joyous yelp! I simultaneously watched Maia's face slowly drop into a frown. She was devastated. As the news sunk in she could not help but break down and cry a heartfelt-hopes-of-a-little-sister-dashed cry. I tried to console her from the position I was in telling her she was still going to get to be a big sister and help mommy with the baby. It didn't work. She stood there staring at the screen sobbing. Ricky picked her up and she laid her head on his shoulder and continued to weep. I could tell the tech was a little uncomfortable and I could not help but laugh at the whole situation.

Poor Maia. She is doing better now, but every once in awhile I can tell that she is still holding onto a glimmer of hope that it may be a girl in there.

No comments: