Family Photo

Family Photo

Friday, July 9, 2010

Flustered!

Today was supposed to a nice relaxing day off with the kids. One where we just spend all day in our jammies and lounge around. Instead it became a day of pure chaos.
This morning Maia decided she wanted to make my coffee. This is not unusual as I have a Keurig coffee maker and all she has to do is put the K-cup in and push the button. However, today Miss Maia tried to add the Splenda like mommy does. That is, while the steaming hot coffee is brewing into the cup, she attempts to pour the Splenda packet in at the same time. I (being the air head mommy that I am) didn't realize this until I heard a blood curdling scream, turned around and saw her little fingers in the midst of the piping hot coffee stream. I immediately put her fingers under cold water, but for the next 2 hours she screamed and cried in pain. I tried aloe vera, Neosporin, and some other ointment that I found in my cabinet for burns. Nothing relieved the pain.
Then, about an hour into the screaming, I heard a knock on the door. It was the cleaning lady! I'd forgotten today was the day my house gets cleaned. I answered the door in my ghetto, holey jammies complete with bed head and a screaming child on my hip. I apologized for my appearance, the hysterical child, and my nightmare of a house all while picking things up off the floor out of embarrassment.
I peel Maia off of me, run into my room, put on decent clothes and notice a text on my phone reminding me of a time sensitive project that needs to get done ASAP. Just then, Noah runs in my room with his hands over his ears on the verge of tears saying, "Maia is hurting my ears." It took everything within me at this point not to throw myself on the floor and scream and cry alongside both of my kids. I took a deep breath, willed myself not to cry, and breathed a quick prayer. Then I started thinking...I am a mom of 2 toddlers. I have been in these types of situations many times before and lived to tell about it. This is not the end of the world. Put on your super mom cape and figure it out.
With renewed determination, I texted and called some family members to ask for advice. I placed Maia's hand in ice water and gave her some Motrin which finally gave her relief and gave me, Noah, and the cleaning ladies relief from her loud screaming. I put on a good babysitting movie and sat down at the computer to finish my project. Once that was done, I got around to folding laundry and picking up the many toys, shoes, and clothes lying around the house.

I must say that after my chaotic morning, instead of feeling exhausted, I feel empowered! I kept my composure, I did not yell at anyone, I comforted my children, and I accomplished everything I needed to accomplish for work. Yup, go ahead, you can just refer to me as Super Woman from now on!!!

No comments: