Family Photo

Family Photo

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mom Jeans & Boring Basics

The big red signs with the big white words beckoned me. I could feel the magnetic force drawing me in. I entered. I expected all the joys of shopping to fill me like they always do when I enter one of my favorite clothing stores while a sale is taking place. Instead, this unfamiliar feeling of insecurity overwhelmed me. As I looked around, I was overwhelmed: Do I get the flowery prints? Can I pull off the mid waste belt look? Are those shorts too short? Should I stick with the solids? Am I supposed to layer that top? Am i too old for that dress? What size am I anyways? I realized then, that in the 9 months that I was pregnant, I had completely lost my sense of style.
Now, I've never been on the cutting edge of fashion, but I knew what looked good on me. However, after being in maternity clothes for much of the last year, and working with a bunch of young beautiful pre-baby fashionistas, I had no clue what to buy. I was so afraid that I'd end up with "mom jeans" and plain t-shirts in my bag by the time I walked out of the store. I almost just turned around and left but... I couldn't resist a sale! So, I made my rounds and purchased a few items including a skirt for $1.00 (only because I knew that if one of those fashionistas from work came across that skirt, she would find some way to make it cute, and I wanted to be like her).
I am now sitting here looking at my purchases and I'm a little disappointed. I played it safe for fear of ending up on that "What Not to Wear" show. I stuck with the boring solid colored basic items. And, while I am glad I avoided the "mom jeans," I'm disappointed with my boring sense of style.

The conclusion that I came to is: I NEED a personal stylist!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: